Wednesday, February 16, 2011

LittleBigPlanet and Hansel and Gretelbot

I try to keep informed about many areas of society out of fascination and plain old desire to participate in conversations in the real world. Discussing fairy tales doesn't really work well for me often in my time away from the computer unless I am at a conference meeting you dear readers.

However, one of my greatest knowledge base weaknesses is in gaming. I'm not a gamer. I play FreeCell and a few simple word and brainteaser games online. That's the extent of my playing besides some occasional social bouts with the Wii. (I had a slight addiction to Link's Crossbow Training for a few weeks last year. I finally mastered it and then my gaming obsession went away again.)

So when I read about and see things like this:



I am amused but slightly confused. I know LittleBigPlanet and LittleBigPlanet 2 are popular. That little guy is a familiar image. But that is where my experience ends.

So I am not going to try to explain how or what this Hansel and Gretelbot really is. I know it is part of LittleBigPlanet 2 and that is sufficient for my needs at this point although I say that and will probably spend the next half hour trying to figure all this out.

If you understand the game, this may make more sense to you. From LittleBigPlanet 2 – New Community-Created Playable Theme Coming Soon:

Hi guys – I’m sure that lots of you LBP fans out there have worked your way through the LBP 2 Story mode, confronted the mighty Negativitron, and are now exploring the intricacies of Create mode and the hundreds of thousands of new user levels.

If you’re hungry for some more Story mode-type Sack-venture, or looking for some creative inspiration and examples of just how powerful the new tools are, then here’s some very cool news for you, direct from Media Molecule…

We are very proud to present to you the preview trailer for Hansel & Gretelbot [see above], a very special community project based loosely on an old fairy tale, and that’s nearly ready for you to play!

LittleBigPlanet 2 LittleBigPlanet: Game of the Year Edition

LittleBigPlanet LittleBigPlanet 2: Collector's Edition

Oh, and here is more about the actual story. I understand stories!

Once upon a time, in a little cottage on the edge of the Dark Western woods, lived a humble Woodsman, his wife, their son Hansel and robotic daughter Gretelbot. One sad day, the Woodsman’s wife was taken ill, and passed away not too long afterwards. Time passed, but eventually the Woodsman became stricken by loneliness, and he remarried.

The Woodsman’s new wife was a wicked woman, who hated her new step children. They were the reason, so she said, that they had to live in such poverty. They would eat them out of house and home, the Woodsman must get rid of them! His will weakened by his heartbreak, the Woodsman relented, and led Hansel and Gretelbot into the Dark Western Woods, leaving them to fend for themselves, with no idea how to get home…

Hansel & Gretelbot should be out later this month, keep your eyes peeled for more info!

No comments:

Post a Comment