Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Rapunzel Week: Rapunzel by Rogasky and Hyman



Rapunzel

Rapunzel by Barbara Rogasky and illustrated by the late, great Trina Schart Hyman is another of my top Rapunzel picture book favorites.  Unfortunately, since Hyman's untimely death to cancer, her books are starting to go out of print, as is this one. Hyman had a highly romantic flavor and yet realistic tone to her illustrations which works especially well with Rapunzel.  Fortunately, the internet (and many libraries) make it possible to see this anyway.

Here are a few more illustrations:






I'm so glad I own this one...it is just as lovely as Zelinsky's but completely different.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! How exciting! Rapunzel is one of my very favorites to read with my daughter - very Freudian ;-) And this is one of my favorites although I also love the Zelinsky version too and also the one illustrated by Alix Berenzy! And yes, I own all three ;-) I'm eager to learn about more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trina Schart Hyman was such a master of illustration. These Rapunzel illustrations are sumptuous. Her paintings are so much in line with the masters of the golden age of fairy tale illustration, yet are instantly recognizable as her own. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete