Sunday, October 11, 2009

Wolf Awareness Week is October 11th-17th


Wolf Awareness Week is October 11th-17th

From the press release, but the links are mine:

Want to know how you can take part in Wolf Awareness Week? Here are some suggestions:

Revisit traditional story tales such as Little Red Riding Hood, The Three Little Pigs, or Peter and the Wolf. Afterwards discuss with your children how these stories unrealistically depict wolves as dangerous and evil.

Click through to the press release to read serious items about wolf awareness week. It's serious even though I'm feeling lighthearted about it here.

And I support anything that encourages rereading fairy tales....and I do think the animals get a bum rap in fairy tales. So combine the traditional tales with The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs! by Jon Scieszka to be fair.

And the SurLaLune Cafe Press Shop has lots of wolf themed items, especially in the Little Red Riding Hood Shop. My husband drew the wolf and wolf shield.

1 comment:

  1. This made me think of Ed Young's dedication in his retelling of Red Riding Hood, Lon Po Po, "To all the wolves of the world for lending their good name as a tangible symbol for our darkness." I love that quote. This article reminded me of it.

    ReplyDelete